Winter Spice Sangria
Monday , 16, December 2013
Sangria infused with warm winter spices…perfect for the Holidays.
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 4 Star Anise pods
- 1/2 tsp. Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp. whole Cloves
- Two 3-inch Cinnamon Sticks
- 1-inch slice of fresh Ginger
- One 750-ml bottle Dry Red Wine…. Grenache.. Syrah or Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/2 cup fresh Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Light Rum
- 1/4 cup Brandy
- 1/4 cup Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1 1/2 cups Club Soda or Ginger Ale
- 2 navel Oranges..peeled… cut into large dice or slices
- 1 Lime..peeled..cut into large dice or slices
- 1 Granny Smith Apple..halved.. cored and cut into large dice
- 1 Bartlett Pear..halved.. cored and cut into large dice
- 2 cups fresh Cranberries
- Ice cubes
- In a small saucepan.. combine Water, Sugar, Star Anise, Peppercorns, Cloves, Cinnamon Sticks and Ginger.
- Bring to a simmer over medium high heat… stirring to dissolve Sugar completely.
- Boil until reduced by one third and slightly syrupy.. about 15 minutes. Let Spice Syrup cool… then strain into a glass jar.
- Pour Red Wine into at least a 3-quart pitcher.
- Stir in Orange Juice, Rum, Brandy, Cointreau, Soda and 1/4 cup of Spice Syrup
- Add Oranges, Lime, Apple, Cranberries and Pear and refrigerate 8 hrs. or overnight.
- Serve Sangria over ice… garnish with diced fruit.
Recipe adapted courtesy of Food and Wine