Sweet Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts add amazing flavor to this tasty side dish 😉
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin Olive Oil.. divided
- 1 medium Onion,..chopped
- 1 medium red or yellow Bell Pepper.. chopped
- 2 cups sliced Mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 1 tbsp. minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground Pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 1/2 cup Madeira, preferably medium dry, or sherry
- 2 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 cups Wild Rice (about 10 ounces)
- 1 14-oz. can diced Tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 2 cups Mushroom or Vegetable Broth
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1/4 tsp. crumbled Saffron
- 2 cups halved Brussels Sprouts
- 1 small Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat 2 tbsp.Oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add Onion, Bell Pepper, Mushrooms, Garlic and 1/4 tsp. each Salt /Pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until Mushroom liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. Whisk Madeira (or sherry) and Tomato Paste in a small bowl; add to skillet. Cook, stirring, until the liquid turns syrupy and is almost absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add Wild Rice, Tomatoes, Broth, Water, Saffron and 1/4 tsp. each Salt / Pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Uncover and simmer until Rice is tender and most of the grains are “popped,” 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato with remaining 2 tbsp.Oil and a pinch of Salt/Pepper. Spread Vegetables in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once halfway through, until tender and browned in spots, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°. When Rice is done, arrange roasted Vegetables decoratively on top of it. Transfer the skillet to the oven to heat through before serving, 5 to 10 minutes.
Recipe Courtesy of Eating Well