Rigatoni with Eggplant, Tomatoes, and Spicy Sausage
Saturday , 16, November 2013
Looking for a spicy Pasta dish? This Rigatoni is packed full of delicious flavors. 🙂
Add a dollop of Ricotta …yum…
- 5 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 medium Eggplant.. cut into ¾″ cubes
- 1 small yellow Onion…minced
- 5 cloves Garlic…minced
- 1 lb. Spicy Italian Sausage… casing removed
1 (28-oz.) can whole peeled San Marzano Tomatoes, undrained and crushed
1 tsp. crushed Red Pepper Flakes
16 fresh Basil leaves… torn
1 box Rigatoni
Kosher salt and Black Pepper.. to taste
Pecorino Romano… grated
- Heat oven to 500°.
- Put Eggplant into a bowl and drizzle with 2 tbsp. Olive Oil. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer Eggplant to baking sheet and bake.. turning occasionally.. until soft.. about 20 minutes.
- Heat remaining Oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add Onion and cook… stirring, until soft…not browned
- Add Red Pepper Flakes and Garlic.. cook until garlic softens.. about 3 minutes.
- Add Sausage and cook.. breaking up into small pieces until browned.
- Add Tomatoes and half the Basil.. season with salt..cook until heated through.. about 5 minutes.
- Cook Rigatoni..
- Drain Pasta and add to Tomato Sauce Mixture
- Stir in Eggplant and toss to combine.
- Stir in remaining Basil and season with Salt.
- Transfer pasta to a serving bowl and garnish with Pecorino.
Recipe courtesy of Saveur