Red Velvet Whoppie Pies
Monday , 10, February 2014
Whoopie Pies are a nice alternative to cupcakes….icing in the middle instead of on top 🙂
- Heat oven to 350 Degrees
- Grease and lightly Flour..2 Jelly roll pans (10 ½ x 15 ½) then line with parchment paper and Grease and Flour again.
- In a small bowl, sift the cake flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla.
- Add to the batter and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the buttermilk.
- Add to the batter in three parts, alternating with the flour.
- With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda.
- Add to the batter and mix well.
- Using a rubber spatula… make sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.
- Pour 3-4 cups of batter into each prepared pan.
- Bake about 10 minutes.. a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean.
- Cool in the pan… when completely cool using a cookie cutter..cut desired shapes
- Sandwich with whipped Vanilla icing or your favorite filling.
Recipe courtesy of Magnolia Bakery