Polenta Pizza With Pancetta and Spinach
Friday , 22, November 2013
If you love Polenta..this recipe is beyond delicious 🙂
Heat oven to 450
- Brush a layer of olive oil on a pizza pan or cookie sheet.
- In a medium saucepan combine Milk, 2 1/2 cups water and a large pinch of salt.
- Bring just about to a boil, reduce heat to medium, add cornmeal in a steady stream, whisking all the while to prevent lumps from forming.
- Turn heat to low and simmer, whisking frequently, until thick, 10 or 15 minutes. If mixture becomes too thick, whisk in a bit more water; you want a consistency approaching thick oatmeal.
- Stir 1 tablespoon oil into cooked cornmeal (polenta). Spoon it onto prepared pan, working quickly so polenta does not stiffen; spread it evenly to a thickness of about 1/2 inch all over.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover baking sheet with plastic wrap and put it in refrigerator until it is firm, an hour or more.
- Put Polenta in oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it begins to brown and crisp on edges.
- Add two tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add Onion and Pancetta.. cook, stirring occasionally, until Onion is soft and Pancetta is nicely browned, about 10 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to take onion and pancetta out of pan; set aside.
- Add Spinach to skillet and sauté until it releases its water and pan becomes dry.. sprinkle with Salt and lots of Pepper.
- Take polenta out of oven.. sprinkle with Gorgonzola.. then spread Onion-Pancetta mixture and Spinach evenly on top of cheese.
- Drizzle with another tablespoon olive oil. Put pizza back in oven for two minutes until cheese begins to melt.
- Cut into slices and serve hot or at room temperature. 🙂
**Variation: Before you put Polenta in oven, top with thin slices of fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced Roma Tomatoes and fresh Basil Leaves.
Delicious recipe courtesy of The New York Times