Give this Broccoli Rabe twist on Pesto a try…
- 1 bunch Broccoli Rabe…tough lower stems removed
- 1/2 cup Pistachios… toasted
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese… plus more for garnish
- Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup part-skim Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 pound Orecchiette Pasta
- Olive oil… for finishing (optional)
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Set up a bowl of well-salted ice water
- Cook Broccoli Rabe in the boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes.. then immediately plunge in salted ice water.
- Drain Broccoli Rabe.. squeeze out any excess water.. coarsely chop.
- Put chopped Broccoli Rabe Food processor..puree until it is a coarse paste.
- Add Pistachios and Parmigiano Reggiano..puree until smooth…Salt to taste
- Add Ricotta..Pulse until combined.
- Taste should be slightly bitter and creamy at the same time. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil for Pasta
- If you are making the pasta right after the pesto, just use the Broccoli Rabe blanching water.
- Cook Pasta 1 minute LESS than the cooking time on the package.
- While Pasta is cooking.. put pesto in a large skillet..over medium-high heat.. add about 1-1 1/2 cups of Pasta cooking water.
- When Pasta is ready..drain and add to the skillet with Pesto.
- Stir vigorously to combine..cook until sauce is creamy and heated through.. 1 to 2 minutes
- Remove from.. heat, add 1 to 2 tbsp. Olive Oil, if desired, stir vigorously.
- Garnish with Parmigiano Reggiano
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell and Food Network