Maple-Roasted Butternut Squash Flatbread
Friday , 27, September 2013
There’s a double dose of pure Maple Syrup in this hearty Flatbread.
Chard in combination with the savory, salty Sausage and creamy Ricotta is heavenly. Not a Chard lover….use Baby Spinach instead.
The perfect seasonal bite….Enjoy with a glass of your Favorite wine 🙂
- 1 lb. Butternut Squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 3 Tbs. pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper
- Semolina or cornmeal… for dusting the pan
- 1/2 small Red Onion… thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 1 Tbs. fresh Thyme, coarsely chopped
- 6 oz. Pork Sausage (hot or sweet).. removed from casings and crumbled
- 6 oz. whole-milk Ricotta (3/4 cup)
- 3/4 oz. finely grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 cups very thinly sliced Rainbow Chard leaves or baby Spinach Leaves
- 1 lb. Pizza dough….thawed if frozen
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 450°F.
- Let Pizza dough stand at room temperature while you roast the Squash.
- In a large bowl, toss Squash with 2 Tbs. Maple Syrup, 1-1/2 tsp. Oil.. Salt and Pepper.
- Spread it in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender and lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Let cool to warm.
- Dust another large rimmed baking sheet with Semolina or Cornmeal.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 1/4-inch-thick oval..transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Lower oven temperature to 425°F.
- In the large bowl, gently toss Squash.. Onion.. Thyme.. 1-1/2 tsp. of the remaining Oil.. Salt and Pepper.
- Scatter Squash mixture evenly over the dough.. then scatter Sausage and teaspoonfuls of Ricotta all over.
- Sprinkle with Pecorino.. bake until the crust is golden-brown and crisp… about 30 minutes.
- Whisk remaining 1 Tbs. Syrup.. 1 Tbs. Oil..Vinegar..Salt and Pepper.
- Add Chard/Spinach to bowl.. toss to coat. Scatter over the Flatbread. Cut into pieces and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Fine Cooking