Baked Haricots Verts with Fried Shallots
Monday , 18, November 2013
Thanksgiving & Green Bean Casserole seem to go hand in hand.
I wanted to kick it up a notch this year so I went searching for a yummy recipe…and here it is 😉
Haricots Verts are a thinner version of the Green Beans we all know & love…if you can’t find them…use thin baby Green Beans!
3 cups Vegetable Oil
- 3 large Shallots, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rings making about 3 cups
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbs.Flour
- Kosher Salt
- 2 lb. trimmed Haricots Verts
- 4 tbsp.unsalted Butter
- 1-1/2 lb. mixed mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, cremini), coarsely chopped about 7 to 8 cups
- 2 tbsp. medium Sherry
- 2 cups lower sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet until shimmering hot
- In a bowl.. toss the Shallots with 1 cup of Flour.. separating the rings and coating them thoroughly.
- Shake off excess Flour and Fry..stirring occasionally until golden.. 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and season lightly with Salt.
- Boil the Haricots Verts in salted water until crisp-tender… about 4 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and cool under cold running water… pat dry.
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
- Melt the butter in the skillet…Add the Mushrooms.. a pinch of salt.. cook.. stirring often.. until most of the liquid has evaporated and the Mushrooms are beginning to brown.. about 7 minutes.
- Add Sherry..cook..stirring.. until almost evaporated.. about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the remaining 3 Tbs. flour over the Mushrooms in pan and toss to coat. Slowly stir in the Broth and Cream.
- Simmer.. stirring occasionally.. until the sauce thickens..about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Haricots Verts..Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Pour into a 9×13-inch baking dish and bake until bubbling around the edges.. about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven..stir gently to remix…Top with Fried Shallots…
- ** Crumbled Bacon can be added before baking ** Delicious!! 🙂
Recipe courtesy of Fine Cooking