There is nothing better than homemade applesauce and it is so easy to do! If you want chunky applesauce… use a potato masher to mash the cooked apples.
If you prefer smooth apple sauce, run the cooked apples through a food mill.
The key is adding a few strips of lemon peel to the apples while cooking. The lemon heightens the apple flavor
- 3 to 4 lbs. Apples. ( Golden Delicious.. Jonagold )…peeled, cored, and quartered
- 4 strips Lemon Peel – use a vegetable peeler to strip 4 lengths
- Juice of one Lemon, about 3-4 Tbsp
- 3 inches of Cinnamon Stick
- 1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- up to 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
Put all ingredients into a large pot.
- Cover… Bring to boil… Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Remove from heat. Remove Cinnamon Sticks and Lemon Peels. Mash with potato masher.
Ready to serve… either hot or refrigerated
Thanks to Elise Bauer for this yummy recipe…